Release Date: 15/11/2019
TWO TONE RECORDS was created in 1979 by The Specials founder Jerry Dammers. The label spawned a youth movement and a number of well-known artists and singles through its tenure including the aforementioned Specials with key singles ‘Gangsters’, the UK Number singles ‘Too Much Too Young’ and ‘Ghost Town’. They also helped launch the careers of Madness with ‘The Prince’, The Beat with ‘Tears of A Clown’, The Selecter with ‘On My Radio’ and The Bodysnatchers with ‘Let’s Do Rocksteady’ (The Bodysnatchers). The label ended its chart run of singles with ‘Nelson Mandela’ by The Special AKA.
This 40th Anniversary 7” Collection has been curated by Jerry Dammers, selecting his favourite 12 singles released on the label between 1979 and 1984.
1. THE SPECIAL A.K.A Vs. THE SELECTER: A. Gangsters / AA. The Selecter
2. MADNESS: A. The Prince / B. Madness
3. THE SELECTER: A. On My Radio / B. Too Much Pressure
4. THE SPECIALS: A. A Message To You Rudy / AA. Nite Klub
5. THE BEAT: A. Tears of A Clown / AA. Ranking Full Stop
6. THE SPECIAL A.K.A.: A. Too Much Too Young [Live] / B. Guns of Navarone [Live] / B. Skinhead Moonstomp (Long Shot Kick The Bucket/Liquidator/Skinhead Moonstomp
7. THE SELECTER: A. Three Minute Hero / B. James Bond
8. THE BODYSNATCHERS: A. Let's Do Rocksteady / AA. Ruder Than You
9. THE SPECIALS: A. Stereotype / B. International Jet Set
10. RICO: A. Sea Cruise / B. Carolina
11. THE SPECIALS: A. Ghost Town / AA. Why?/AA. Friday Night, Saturday Morning
12. THE SPECIAL AKA: A. Nelson Mandela / AA. Break Down The Door